Friday, December 16, 2011

Torment Within



Not many people outside my friends and family know this, but I suffer from seasonal and chronic depression. Not to the point that its crippling, but enough that it can mess with my life for a while. Recently, I was going through one of my tougher nights and was discussing it with my very good friend Kenn. I told him I needed to change how I was thinking about myself and my depression. He gave me some very good and sound advice about how to go about that and how to start dealing with it. He offered up the suggestion that I start documenting it through photography, so that I can show myself and the world what is going through my head. So I set to it. The process involved using a tripod and a slightly lower shutter speed. The reason behind taking my shirt off was because I felt that there needed to be a connection, a rawness to the emotions, wanted them to feel real. The main feelings behind my depression are loneliness and isolation and that's what I tried to capture. The series will be continued, with myself and with other people as well. Depression effects many people, so many different points of views are good. If you would like to see the full series, check out my photography page on facebook at: Photography By Joe






3 comments:

  1. Depression is really hard to deal with and even harder to explain.

    These pictures are amazing.

    They capture something extremely complex and make it almost understandable.

    Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, that is what I was going for and I am glad I could capture it in a way that other people are able to understand it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much, that is what I was going for and I am glad I could capture it in a way that other people are able to understand it.

      Delete